Wednesday 23 May 2012

Exchange contract tomorrow, finally

Got a phone call from my solicitor 8:30 this morning. He didn't sound happy.  Because vendor's solicitor sent him a fax yesterday in the late afternoon, telling him the lender has released the charges and he needs to complete in a week. Otherwise the vendor will pull out.

They have been holding the transaction back by not arranging the lender to release the charge. Now they threaten us.

Anyway...

He asked for permission to exchange the contract today.

No.  I can't exchange until tomorrow.  Because we need to arrange insurance.  If we do it now, it still won't be effective until midnight tonight.  Also, it is your advice to me that I should view the property again before exchange.

Called the agent, arranged to see the house again in my lunch break.

Honestly, the hall looked smaller than what I remember.  But the living room and dining room looked bigger without the vendor's furniture.  We also measured the kitchen.  Nina found the box behind the cooker is only a box of gas pipes, not the chimney.  Ok, the estate agent's measurement makes sense now.  The garden is a mess.  Need to cut the grass soon.  Otherwise, all good.

Instructed the solicitor to arrange exchange tomorrow.  I also asked him to arrange the legal undertaking for me to borrow the keys on daily basis.  But he doesn't think that's a good idea.

The vendor's solicitor may ask you to pay for the insurance (oh, yes, you already are paying), the bills and probably council tax too.  It's too much a hassle for such short period of time.  Mind you, we are completing the transaction next week anyway.

Yes, he is right.  Simple is good.  I paid for his advice.  I might well take his advice.

Ok, bye-bye the house.  I will see you again when you are mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment