Wednesday 20 November 2013

Chimney, driveway and the internal wall.

Graham replied my email almost immediately last night.  He always replies emails almost immediately.  It is very good especially when you have an urgent technical issue that needs answering.

I went out to inspect what's done yesterday.  And it was... not much.  This is because Jay's son was ill yesterday and Dave was working alone.  Well, this kind of things happens.  I told Jay that it's more important that his son is better now.  He said he is.  Good.


On the concrete footing, I noticed that Dave have left a groove for the electrical wire to the workshop.  Good.


I spoke with David about the chimney.  Graham seems to be more optimistic about using gallows brackets than David.  But the complexity of the seemly simple job bothers David.  He told me two main issues: the access to the top part is not there unless we employee expensive scaffolding; and the waste bricks themselves will take a small skip to dispose of.

Later in the evening, he gave me a quote of £470 to take the chimney down.  This is expensive.  I reverted with an option to remove only the bottom part (if Graham can make it structurally acceptable to the council inspector).  That should reduce the cost of skip, and save the cost of scaffolding.

Good news is that David's quote to make two parking space is £800, which is acceptable.

Bad news is that David found our internal wall is built with terracotta bricks.  He sent a query to Graham and Andrew the council inspector.  I don't know what it will entail.  Feeling very worried now.


No comments:

Post a Comment